My new work deals with nostalgia and what we remember, drawing mainly from 50s and 60s clothing with some forays into other periods. I have tried to create personalities without the person and to give the pieces humorous and, sometimes, heroic stances. The bronze firefighter's coat was completed after the events of September 11th. At this point, I am primarily interested in historical representations, the main focus being the Civil Rights Movement and other events that have remained vivid and poignant for me.
Elizabeth Eckford (one of the teenagers who desegregated Little Rock High School), Martin - 1963, The Arrest (based on photographs of Martin Luther King arrested in Birmingham), and Dog Attack (based on photographs of a protester attacked by police dogs) are from the Civil Rights Series.
A couple of years ago, I read a novel by Leonora Carrington, The Hearing Trumpet. On page 23 of the 1996 edition she writes:
"I remember your white flannels better than I can remember you. I remember all the things I felt about the white flannels but whoever made them walk about has totally disappeared.
So you remember me as a pink linen dress with no sleeves…."
I received my BA from Bard College and my MFA in Sculpture from Rhode Island School of Design. For the past ten years, I have taught art in public school, currently at the high school level. In 2001, I was an ISC Outstanding K-12 Art Teacher. In 1998, I received a Geraldine R. Dodge Artist/Educator Fellowship. I have also had two NJ State Council on the Arts fellowships - one in 1984 in Sculpture and one in 1989 in Graphics.
- Ceres Gallery, NYC, October-November.
- Courtney Gallery, NJ City University, March-April.
- Ceres Gallery, NYC, January.
- Ceres Gallery, NYC, January.
- Ceres Gallery, NYC, October.
- Vodra Gallery, NJ City University, January-February.
- Ceres Gallery, NYC, September.
- Walters Gallery, Rutgers University, NJ, September.
- Intermedia performance, The Dairy, Central Park, NYC, August.
- University of RI, Kingston, RI, March.
- Installation, Scratch & Sniff, Woods-Gerry Gallery, RI, February.
- Sarah Doyle Gallery, Providence, RI, January-February.
Selected Group Exhibitions
- ISC Juried Exhibition, Grounds for Sculpture, NJ, July-September.
- NJ Fine Arts Annual, Morris Museum, Morristown, NJ, Dec.- April.
- C.A.S.E. Museum, Jersey City, NJ, March.
- Studio 259, Long Branch, NJ, April.
- Deviants, Perverts, Aliens & Feminazis, Ceres Gallery, NYC, Dec.
- Phoenix Gallery, NYC, September-October.
- National Arts Club, NYC, September-October.
- The Morris Museum, Morristown, NJ, October-November.
- Art Lab, Snug Harbor, SI, NY, July-September.
- NJ Center for the Visual Arts, Summit, NJ, June-August.
- A.I.R. Gallery, NYC, December-January.
- Hunterdon Art Center, Clinton, NJ, December-January.
- Nabisco USA Gallery, NJ, February-March.
- Sculptors' Drawings, Valencia CC, Orlando, FL, March.
- Hera Gallery, Wakefield, RI, April.
- Thomas Center Gallery, Gainesville, FL, May.
- A Case for Boxes, Museum of Art, RISD, October-November.