3527 Carmel Koch Road
Wellesley, Ontario N0B 2T0, Canada
Phone: (519) 656- 3409
Click image to enlarge.
Ruth's solo art career was launched following twenty years of
professional prop management and building for theatre and film.
Thorough grounding in all aspects of creation, fabrication and
presentation was an invaluable apprenticeship. Deft competency
with a variety of mediums allows Ruth immense sculptural freedom.
Given the impermanent nature of performance properties, stainless steel
and bronze were the initial materials of choice. Well versed in figurative
sculpture and detailed character observation, Ruth has enjoyed numerous
portrait commissions, large and small, public and private. The success of
these portraits is rooted in capturing individual animation, body language
and facial expression. In short, creating a 'moment', as well as a likeness.
Ruth was the first Canadian exhibitor selected for inclusion by Sculpture-
by-the-Sea 2005, in Sydney, Australia where she received a bursary from
the Canadian Consulate. Other pieces are in private collections in England,
France, Italy and Australia.
Beyond portraiture, Ruth's interests lie in public installation and creating
art for personal landscapes on a large scale. In the public venue, Ruth
explores the element of encounter, attempting to create works with broad
appeal without sacrificing content. Her current studio work examines the emotional architecture of human interaction, connection, and intention.
Although a sculptor by training, I am by inclination, a structuralist. In each of my
works, connections are pivotal, whether they be welded or emotional. The most
compelling area in art lies between the viewer and the view.
I constantly explore my own attraction to patterns. With a background in keen
character observation, patterns are as likely to be energetic and intangible as
visual or visceral.
SELECTED PUBLIC COMMISSIONS
(abbreviated listing, full version available at www.ruthabernethy.com)
- Oscar Peterson, bronze figure portrait, Ottawa, ON 2010
- John Hirsch& Tom Hendry, bronze figure montage, Winnipeg, MB 2008
- Gathering, bronze figure portraits, family commission, Chicago,ILL 2008
- Arnold Palmer, bronze figure portrait, Weston, ON 2005
- Former prime Minister Mackenzie King, Kitchener , ON 2004
- Franklin the Turtle series, Centre Island, Toronto, ON 2003
- Al Waxman, bronze figure portrait, Toronto,ON 2001
- Glenn Gould, bronze figure portrait, CBC, Toronto, 1999
- International Sculpture Center
- American Portrait Society
- CARFAC Ontario
- Gallery 96
- University of Calgary
- University of Victoria
- The Banff Centre
- Stratford Festival Master Classes
- Fine Arts Invitational Trade Mission, Chicago
- American Portrait Society Conference, Boston
- Keynote speaker, Canadian Portrait Society
- Finalist, Rosales Tribute, Chandler, Arizona
- Exhibitor, Sculpture-by-the-Sea, Sydney, Australia
- Finalist, Rotary International Peace Park, ON
- Malaspina College/University, Nanaimo, BC
- Canadian Consulate Bursary, Sydney, Australia
- Canada Council Assistance, Tokyo, Kyoto, Japan
- unsolicited Guthrie Award, Stratford ON
- Private collections, England, France, Italy, Australia