3222 LeeAnn Blvd
Billings, MT 59102, U.S.A.
Click image to enlarge.
More information at www.sherricornett.com
With degrees in political science and art as well as a long history of advocacy, activism and campaign work around issues of human rights, women's rights, environment, education and the arts, both as an employee and in board leadership, Cornett has more recently created exhibition opportunities for women artists as Director of Half the Sky: Intersections in Social Practice Art, an art-based cultural exchange in China, and as Co-Director of Women + Body, an exhibition in South Korea. Her art has shown in China, South Korea, New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, the Bay area, Oregon, Montana and various online venues.
"I find myself most attracted to art that, while aesthetically appealing, offers an opportunity for self-reflection and has the potential to change a perception. Art that brings thinking, action, transformation, inspiration and soul into the experience. Art that builds a relationship with the social and political worlds, socially-engaged art.
I agree with those who believe that there are no longer grand narratives to explain the whole world and that each of us must continue to reformulate our questions and seek new answers as we learn and grow. My work is often a physical manifestation of these questions and, often, to answers. I desire to develop art and correlating events that engage the psyche of viewers and participants to the point where they, too, become moved to question, to consider, to act. "
Chrysalis Series - Mixed media sculptures of enclosed spaces based on Jungian psychiatrist Marion Woodman's concept of creating symbolic protective spaces for ourselves when in vulnerable periods of personal growth. Includes thoughts on protection, retreat, rebirth, rejuvenation and comfort.
Ancestresses & Wise Women - These life-sized welded steel with mixed media representations of female mentors and matriarchs were the result of two events. While my father was dying, I was reminded of how much of my experience has been influenced by the strong women in my family. Shortly thereafter I was surprised by conversations with younger women who had little knowledge of women's history and little to no mentoring by older women. This lead me to create symbolic images of the many women who had mentored me and gave me another chance to show them my gratitude.
Conversations Among Women - These events were my way of helping to rectify the shortage of opportunity for women of all ages to mentor each other , share perspectives, enjoy the art of conversation and increase collective wisdom. They occur within the circle of my Ancestresses & Wise Women sculptures. I asked women leaders (professors, judges, activist, legislators, attorneys, business women...) to help me facilitate. With no particular goal other than sharing lessons learned, sources of strength and stories of success, these conversations evolved organically with respect for each participant's view.
Grottoes - My exploration of enclosed spaces continues with my Grottoes series and is inspired by: the intensely azure water and reflected light in the Blue Grotto of Capri; the grottoes associated with the Greek oracles; grottoes as garden follies; grottoes as religious shrines; grottoes formed by rock and brush around springs. These pieces are hollowed welded steel/mixed media wall sculptures which create shrines to and include video collages of my observations and meditations on nature. For now, these images capture characteristics of water found mostly in Montana: flowing streams, ripples, effervescence, cascades… This series assist provides a backdrop for conversations about water rights and conservations efforts, where the works bring attention to water as common ground.
- "Ancestresses & Wise Women and Conversations Among Women Documentary Video", Voices: An Artist's Perspective, NAWA Gallery, NYC, Apirl 2015
- "Ancestresses & Wise Women and Conversations Among Women Documentary Video", Views from the Edge: Women, Gender and POlitics, Sarah Doyle Women's Center, Brown University, March 2015
- "Judy", "Earth", "Hidden Cities Chrysalis", The 'F' Word: The Female Perspective, Billings Open Studio, December 2014
- "Compages: Populus", Multiple Feeds, Los Angeles Art Association's Gallery 825, October/November 2014
- "Corporal Cognizance", MTV: Momentum Technology Videos Online Film Festival, Institute for Women and Art, Rutgers University, October 2014 - April 2015
- "Corporal Cognizance", Transmission Gallery, Oakland, CA June/July 2014
- "Points of Many Connections", Half the Sky: Intersections in Social Practice Art, Luxun Academy of Fine Arts, Shenyang, Chin, April 2014
- "Yellowstone River Grotto", Water: A Universal Right, Robert Morris State Street Gallery, Chicago, February - March 2014
- "Skin Muscle Sinew", Stories We Tell, Phoenix Gallery, NYC, September 2013
- "Iridescence", Women of All Colors, Chicago Urban Art Retreat Center, February/March 2013
- "Hidden Cities Chrysalis" juried into Capturing the Wonder of Women, Women's Museum of Califorrnia, December 2012 - February 2013
- Skin Muscle Sinew video juried into Woman + Body, Kepco Plaza Gallery, Seoul, South Korea October 13-19, 2012, Gwangju Cultural Foundation's MediaCube 338, Gwangju, South Korea, October - November 2012
- "Judy" from Ancestresses & Wise Women, juried into Honoring Women's Rights, National Steinbeck Center, Salinas, CA September 8, 2012 - January 7, 2013
- "Ripples Grotto" selected for Montana Women in the Visual Arts, The Emerson Center for the Arts & Culture, Bozeman, Montana September 9-November 11, 2011
- Solo Exhibition, "Ancestresses & Wise Women", Hockaday Museum, Kalispell, MT, May 5-June 16 2011Best of Show, "Flowing Streams Chrysalis", WCA San Diego Transformation Exhibition, May 1 - April 30 2011
- "Hidden Cities Chrysalis" selected for Hidden Cities Exhibition catalog, New Centuries Artists Gallery, New York City, juried by Lisa Phillips, director, New Museum in New York City, February 1-12 2011
- "Ritual Chrysalis", selected for Sanctuaries in Time Exhibition, Kraft Center for Jewish Life at Columbia/Barnard College in New York City, January 21-March 1 2011
- President's Award, "Songwriters", From Our Perspectives: A National Women's Art Exhibition, Oakland Community College WomenCenter, Farmington Hills, Michigan, September 16 - October 8 2010
- Group show including "Ancestresses & Wise Women", By Design: Threads, Custer County Art & Heritage Center, Miles City, MT June 27-August 15 2010
- Conversations Among Women, "Women in Activism" held in conjunction with By Design: Threads, Custer County Art & Heritage Center, Miles City, MT August 10, 2010
- Solo Exhibition, "Ancestresses & Wise Women", Betty Feves Memorial Gallery, Blue Mountain Community College, Pendleton, OR January 6-February 5 2010
- Conversations Among Women, held in conjunction with solo exhibition at Betty Feves Memorial Gallery, Blue Mountain Community College, Pendleton, OR February 5 2010
- Conversations Among Women, six events held in conjunction with solo exhibition of Ancestresses & Wise Women at Toucan Gallery and Strong Intuitions: Five Women's Perspectives at the Shed Exhibition Space Level 504, Billings, MT April - August 2008
- Group show including "Ancestresses & Wise Women", Strong Intuitions: Five Women's Perspectives, The Shed Exhibition Space Level 504, Billings, MT May 2- August 1, 2008
- Solo Exhibition, "Ancestresses & Wise Women," Toucan Gallery, Billings, MT April 2008
- "Small Canoe", Annual Art Auction, Yellowstone Art Museum, Billings, MT 2007
- Solo Exhibition, "Chrysalis", Toucan Gallery, Billings, MT March/April 2006
- "Cradle", Annual Southeastern Montana Juried Exhibit, Custer County Art & Heritage Center, Miles City,MT 2005
BFA, Sculpture, Montana State University - Billings
BA, Political Science, University of Houston
- Partner, Gutfreund Cornett Art
- Director, "Half the Sky: Intersections in Social Practice Art", an art-based cultural exchange in Shenyang, China, April 2014
- Exhibition Co-Director, Woman + Body, South Korea
- Chair, International Caucus, Women's Caucus for Art
- Montana Representative, The Feminist Art Project
- Member, UN Rio+20 Women's Major Group Steering Committee
- Member, International Sculpture Center
- Member, Women's Caucus for Art
- Member, WCA International Caucus
- Member, Yellowstone Art Museum
- Member, National Organization for Women
- Member, Montana Wilderness Association
- Member, Northern Plains Resource Council
- Member, The Nature Conservancy
- Member, Montana Human Rights Network
- Women's Media Center
- Montana Women Vote
- Planned Parenthood of Montana