Curriculum Vitae for Jack Biesek
Sign Arts Program, 1965-1967 - Pasadena City College, California
Fine Arts Studies, 1968-1969 - Pasadena City College
Autodidact University, 1975 - current
1969 through 1971 - Owner, Art Craft Studio, Pasadena, California Sign maker, silk screen printer. Initial foray into sign graphics fields.
1971 through 1980 - Owner, Jack Biesek Studio, San Luis Obispo Graphic design consultancy / sign maker, gold leaf artist, silk screen printer, photographer, exhibit designer, architectural signage consultant.
1980 to present - Biesek Design partnership with wife (designer) Susan Mackenzie Biesek. Focus on wayfinding, placemaking and architectural signage. Including institutional, educational, healthcare, hospitality, transportation and corporate clients.
1990 to present - Sculptor working in bronze, stone, metal and other venerable materials. Returning to fine art roots and heartwork.
Recent Gallery / Shows
Ventana Gallery / Big Sur, 2005 - present
Phantom Project / 2012, Central Coast Sculptors Group
ShowingOff, San Luis Obispo Museum of Art, Group show
Washington Sculptors Group 2011, One-man show. Washington, DC
Sculpture 2006 / San Luis Obispo Art Center
Group Show / California Sculpture Symposium / Cambria, Calif / 2007
Art Encounters / San Luis Obispo Art Center – 2008
Shapes & Shades, Morro Bay Art Association - 2009
EOS Winery Show, Paso Robles – 2009
The Loft Gallery – 2009 – present
San Luis Obispo Museum of Art
Art Center, San Luis Obispo, California
President, Central Coast Sculptors Group
California Sculpture Symposium
Society for Environmental Graphic Design (SEGD)
- Board of Directors, 3 terms of service
- President of SEGD, 1990 - 1991
American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)
Society of College and University Planners (SCUP)
Design & Planning Environmental Graphics by W. Hunt, Madison Square Press
SEGD Glossary (co-author, editor, sign industry nomenclature compendium, published by the Society for Environmental Graphic Design)
Wayfinding and Signage for Libraries, Website tutorial for Libris DESIGN (a library facility planning information system with downloadable database developed for California public library planners as a public service)
Sign Communications Two by Gail Deibler Finke, Madison Square Press
Urban Entertainment Graphics, by Wayne Hunt, Madison Square Press
City Signs, by Gail Deibler Finke, Madison Square Press
Communication Arts magazine, May 1997, "Designing a Lifestyle" article
This Way (Design for Public Spaces), by James Trulove, Rockport Publishers
SEGD, AIGA and International Design Venues
- 1991 - Art Center College of Design, Pasadena, Macintosh computers for EGD
- 1992 - San Francisco Design Center, ADA signs and graphics
- 1993 - Northwestern University, Chicago, computer visualization techniques
- 1994 - Seattle Convention Center, Washington, managing a small firm
- 1995 - Anatole Convention Center, Dallas, Texas, computer tools for EGD
- 1996 - Copley Square Center, Boston, cyber cruising and the internet
- 1997 - San Francisco Hyatt Conf. Center, business practices workshop
- 1997 - AIGA Conference, New Orleans, co-presented "The business of EGD
- 1998 - Marriott Conference Center, Washington, DC, the FDR Memorial project
- 1998 - Int'l Sign Ass'n Conference, Anaheim CA, architectural graphics
- 2002 - SEGD Miami – Digital Connections, FTP and web transfer of CAD files
- 2002 - SEGD Denver – Glossary Intro - Terminology & nomenclature for EGD
- 2003 – Neocon L.A. – Design workshop. Wayfinding. What’s it all about?
- 2004 – Cal Poly SLO - Nat’l Health Care Symbols Project. Student charette.
- 2005 – The Getty Center - Best Practice Workshop on California Sign Codes
Honors and Awards
SEGD, Angel Award, 1996 - for contributing to advancement of the organization.
AIGA - California Design Competition, 1982 - environmental graphics and identity program. This work is part of the Smithsonian museum collection.
Santa Barbara Ad Club – awardee, identity program for chain of restaurants.
Print Magazine – awardee, logo and identity design.
Signs of the Times Design Competition – awardee, storefront identity graphics.
2009 Colville Foundation Grant – sculpture commission, Montecito, California